Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Gender and Intimacy

We discussed in class the differences of being a boy and a girl and what that brings to the table. That was interesting and all but what really caught my eye was when we started talking about same sex attraction. That is a topic that has escaped my understanding... until now. I still don't know what it is like but there are things that I now know that help me understand where they are coming from and why it happens.


First of all I don't believe it is biological. There is no evidence of this and there are no studies that I am aware of that back this claim. What does make sense to me is the role that intimacy plays in all of this. 

Intimacy is defined as "close familiarity, Closeness" (Google). With that in mind, we can explore this topic. as we are growing up we learn that there is a difference between boys and girls. because of this as children we build intimate relationships with the same gender as we are. That make the opposite gender a little mysterious and appealing as we grow into puberty. Sometimes we form these intimate relationships with the opposite gender. that makes the same gender mysterious and appealing. Thus the same gender attraction is born. Today the therapy for those who no longer wish to be attracted to the same gender is learning how to build intimate friendships with those of their same gender. 

I find this theory very fascinating and would love to know what you think about it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment